* Series 7 is 21+ due to venue policy. No minors are allowed in the venue
* Songs performed MUST be original and NEVER published by a publisher (other than the songwriters own publishing entity) or cut by a known artist.
*The Songwriter MUST be the MAIN SONGWRITER of the song performed. Songs can be co-written, but only with songwriters who have not had a song published by a major publisher, or have been on the Billboard Top 100 chart, or have had 51% of their income derived by songwriting.
*The song cannot be co-written with any of our judges if that judge is one of the judges at the round the song is being performed.
*If we discover that the songwriter did not follow our rules and they win a round, they will be disqualified from the event and an alternate winner will be selected.
* Nashville Rising Song is a 12 week series, consisting of 10 open-mic preliminary rounds, a semi-final round, and a final round. See schedule and directions HERE
* At each preliminary round, the audience selects a songwriter/song they liked best and casts their vote at the end of the event via a poll located on our Voting Page. A panel of music industry professionals select their winner based on the quality of the songwriting and the commercial potential of the song. There are 2 weekly winners who will then move on to the semi-final round.
* There is time for a total of 21 songwriters, divided into 7 rounds of 3 writers at each preliminary event.
* There is no cover charge or fee to perform a song at Nashville Rising Song, However, at each open preliminary round, we will make available up to 10 optional, paid, reserved slots that can be purchased which will guarantee a performance slot. The other 11+ slots will be determined by a random drawing (only if over 21 check- in for a round.) To reserve your performance slot, visit our Signup Page.
* Advanced registration to let us know you plan on attending is accepted but does not guarantee a performance slot unless the songwriter opts for one of 10 guaranteed performance slots per round. GO HERE TO LEARN MORE.
* The event starts at 7pm sharp. Participants must check in with us at the venue to let us know they are in attendance by 6:30pm. Since we never know who will actually show up and check in to an open round, this will depend if we need to do random drawings to see who shares their song. We have time for 21 total songwriters at each Prelim round. If 22 or more are checked in at the venue by our cutoff time (6:30) we’ll do a random draw before each round to determine who plays in each of the 7 rounds (we do 3 writers in each round).
* Songwriters can participate in as many preliminary rounds as they like, however, if they win a preliminary round, they cannot re-enter another preliminary round in the same series. They come back for the semi-final round. Previous series final grand prize winners cannot compete again (they retire:), but preliminary winners can participate in other series.
* Songwriters share 1 original song each in the preliminary rounds. If they come back to other preliminary rounds, they can perform the same song, or a different song. It is up to them to decide.
* Bring an acoustic guitar that has a direct line output or pickup. We can mic an acoustic if it does not have a built in pickup, but direct out always sounds best. For keyboardists, we have an 88 key weighted action Casio Privia PX-S3000 digital piano that sounds great! So, no need to bring your keyboard. All keyboardists must use our keyboard to keep setup time to a minimum. We provide the 1/4″ cords, direct boxes and microphones.
* No performance tracks, the song must be performed live either on guitar (or other stringed instrument) or piano. This isn’t about the performance, it’s about the song.
* No Acapella. The song MUST be performed with an instrument.
* You can have 1 person accompany you if you do not play an instrument. Duo’s are OK. Trios are not. Orchestras are definitely not. (sorry to all the tuba and bassoon players out there:)
* If you sign up as a duo you cannot also sign up as 2 single songwriters or a single songwriter. Pick one or the other.
* No house band provided. It’s all about the song.
* The Semi-Final features 21 semi-finalists (20 Prelim winners and 1 directors pick) performing 1 song each. The audience both at the venue and watching live online selects 1 song, and the judges panel rates each song from 1-100. The top 3 songs with the most rate points move onto the finals.
* The Final Round features 4 songwriters performing 4 original songs each. Our music industry judges and the viewing audience both at the venue and watching online determine the grand prize winning song. Judges rate each song from 1-100. The viewing audience favorite song is awarded 25 points. The song with the most rate points wins!
For more detailed info, please visit our FAQ PAGE